Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Choosing a counselor or therapist is a big decision, and it's perfectly normal for you to have questions. This is a good thing – questions mean that you are invested in the process!
We've collected some commonly heard questions here for you to look through. If you find that you have other questions or you need more information, just give our office a call and we'll be happy to help.
- What are the benefits to a male client working with a male therapist?
- For what issues do men commmonly seek counseling?
- My relationship is ending. Can you save it?
- What if my partner won't go to counseling?
- Do you work with women?
- What are some of the benefits of a woman working with a male therapist?
- If I work with you individually can you also work individually with my partner?
- What does
- This approach sounds a little strange and this is the first I'm hearing of it. Is EMDR a legitimate mental health practice?
- When I research EMDR on the Internet it appears this therapy is typically used for PTSD. What if I don't have PTSD?
- Why EMDR instead of the talk therapy I've done in the past?
- You mention accessing emotions for EMDR but I'm not very aware of or in touch with my emotional experience. Is that a problem?
- Is EMDR some form of hypnotism?
- How long does EMDR therapy typically last?
- Do you use EMDR with the couples you work with, or is this only used for individual therapy?
- What if I don't want to use the EMDR approach to therapy?
- Therapy didn't work for me in the past. Why should I try it again?
- How can I get the most out of therapy?
- What about the use of medications, and do you prescribe them yourself?
- What exactly do you do in sex therapy?
- Do I need to be in a relationship to attend sex therapy?
- What qualifies you to conduct sex therapy?
- What happens in couples therapy?